Wednesday 13 August 2014

Killing Fat Softly II: Attack of the Fat

It’s been 3 months since I restarted my diet – I was a little lax over the whole of March, a little in celebration and a little because I was resting on my laurels. So far I’ve only lost another three pounds, putting me on 187lbs over all. I’ve had a ten day holiday in Chicago which was always going be a test of my ability to control my intake/motivate myself to exercise suitably to compensate for the fun I intend to have, but it was a challenge I relished. I didn’t very well though, so I am restarting the blog! <Cue fanfare>
                Now, I appreciate I may have appeared to give up on the diet/blog/both since March and to some extent, if I’m honest, I did. I slacked off, let my iron clad grip on my self-restraint slip slightly and began to give myself a couple more cheat days a week. This was not conducive to keeping up my rate of weight loss, as demonstrated by the above performance but I started to find it incredibly difficult to actually enjoy a meal out while still keeping to the diet. I’ve still lost some weight – and I’ve definitely indulged a little bit, had too many starters when I didn’t need to and maybe eaten a little bit much cheese.
                I have, however, been running as much as I can motivate myself to. This is about 10k a week so not a bad amount at all, in my opinion – if I was settling for being my current weight and fitness. I do not believe in settling for less, and I do not expect anyone else to settle for less on my behalf. I would rather be described as ‘impressive’ and ‘outstanding’ than ‘pretty good’ or ‘good enough’.
                So what have I done to amend my wayward weight ways? Mainly, more running. And skipping starters as well as deserts – and keeping to my promise of actually going to the gym or some kind of exercise class that isn’t just running. I want to make sure I’m not letting myself down, which I have to admit I was after I finished my first year.
                BUT NO LONGER! I’m back on the boat, the band wagon, the weight-loss diet-train and happy to be there! Or I tell myself I am at least; it’s still tough work. Easier than originally on some fronts – I am equipped with much more knowledge and armed with experience from my first year so I have better habits and behavioural patterns. However, I need to eat less to lose the same amount of weight, or work out more to allow myself to eat more. How am I managing it?
                Food first, as always! Breakfast is an epic feast of a banana and not one but two Actimel yogurts – a grand total of about 150-180 calories. This is followed by a lunch time indulgence of a whole bowl of salad and bacon strips which I count at an average of 400 calories and about four of my five/six/eight/ten portions of fruit and vegetables your meant to have each day, depending on which country you’re from. This total extravagance of about 600 calories leaves an impressive 700 for dinner, which is an absolutely massive meal of pasta, spinach, kale, asparagus, sweetcorn and some form of meet which is usually chicken unless I have some sausages available – this rare, since I don’t often buy them for fear of waking up on Saturday morning and eating all of them at once in a medicinal, hangover-fueled feast. So as you can see, my food life is full of fun and freedom. Sure, some may call this ‘impossible’ or ‘oppressive’ or, even, ‘absolutely ridiculous’. Which aren’t entirely unfair phrases.
                Which is why I exercise as well! I aim for 10-15km a week over two or three days, yoga and swimming once a week each, thirty press-ups, crunches, tricep lifts and squats a day and some assorted stretches. Intense, non? Compared with where I started – occasionally walking to/from the pub – this is an incredible amount, and being honest sucks up a lot of my time. I even do some weight lifting in my back garden with my brother something I don’t think anyone who knows me would have predicted. I wouldn’t say I enjoy it as such, but I do find it rewarding – not only is my fitness increasing but I get to eat more as well, thereby surviving on more than a starvation diet. Silver linings, right?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment