Monday 14 October 2013

My War on Fat Continues



            I acknowledge this post is a bit fast after the last one BUT in the interests of trying to get back on track I thought it was worth doing. I have unsurprisingly not lost weight since yesterday. However, as you may have guessed from the title I wanted to go back to the issue of food rather than exercise as I haven't really visited it for some time. This is because the focus of my diet regime has become exercise for the recent past but that will normalize after I've been going to the gym regularly for awhile I expect.

            Firstly, I'm eating a lot more now. This is because I am exercising. "But surely you should just not eat, surely that would only help you lose weight?" - Yes, through starvation. Let's do the math:

Daily calorie intake (aimed at losing 2lbs/wk): 1420
Starvation limit (the minimum I require to stay out of my body's emergency fat storage mode): 1200
Average workout in calories: 450-500.

            So, 1420 - 450 = 970. This is 230 below the starvation limit. Yes, I could in theory set my calorie limit at 1200 but that leaves no margin for error as well as leaving me to very little to eat. Arguably, I could exercise to gain some back as I am doing at the moment but there are a few things that put me off this. Firstly, the margin for error is, as mentioned, zero and I'd rather have a safety blanket for the days I do go under. Secondly, the extra 220 calories a day gives me a lot more freedom with my food choices and means I don't have to stress about it so much, in turn making the whole diet thing easier. Thirdly there's a lot of professional advice (almost overwhelming) that strongly suggests trying to lose more than two pounds of weight a week is bad for you.

            And, finally, losing 2lbs of weight a week is a lot. That's three and a half 8oz steaks a week I am meant to be losing from my body mass, or the equivalent weight of one and half litres of water. That's loads! It's probably more than I eat in a day, and only about 60% of that is actually taken into my body! (Obviously this is how dieting works. I highlight it for comparative reasons). It averages out at a stone every two months. So losing more than that is probably unnecessary anyway.
           
            Ergo, if you are trying to lose weight but are putting effort into going to the gym while on a restrictive diet, DO reward yourself with a little bit extra to eat. DO NOT assume it's all bonus calorie loss and think three sandwiches will power you through your normal day as well as a five mile hike or treadmill run. The human body is a biological machine which needs fuel to achieve activity. You wouldn't hold off on filling your car up because burning fumes for longer makes the engine more efficient, would you?

            I have become slightly lax with my restraints as well, following the gym endeavours. Sometimes I need some emergency calories - like if I work too hard at the gym or haven't eaten enough beforehand. Ergo, I have had 3 packets of crisps in the last month and about thirty chips. The chips didn't even feel good but I was out for a meal and desperately need to make up for calories after I found out that we weren't going to be getting popcorn. I also occasionally get to have a beer or two as opposed to being laughed at for drinking spirits with diet mixers rather than 'manly' drinks. Those jibes cut deep, lads, but when I hit my goal I'll still show you all up at the celebration.

            I have just returned from the shop to get more multivitamins. I also bought some of the Sun-Bite crisps as they're low in calories (more by virtue of being few in number than being well made) for emergency calories and a twenty-four pack of diet coke. I went down in cut-offs, flip flops and a Hawaiian shirt which I threw on so I wasn't indecently clad. Not fantastic gear for October in England but I drove there and back so the cold didn't catch me. Nor the rain, thankfully.

            However I did over-hear two girls/women/female denizens of my home town commenting on my purchases behind me in the queue. I admit, it wasn't the most amazingly balanced set of items to buy but to be fair it was none of their business. One of them made the comment, "If he wants to get in shape why not buy foods with that stuff in and not multivits and junk?" I turned around and, rather than yelling at them which was my first impulse, asked with what I hoped to be a condescending smile what they knew about my diet. This stunned them and their-previously silent male companion. Fortunately calling people on snide remarks is not something often done in English supermarkets so I had the initiative. I told them maybe I was aware my diet lacked certain vitamins and minerals due to medical problems I had, or perhaps they were for a family member. In fairness I could make my diet more balanced min/vit-wise but the Omega3 ones are pretty vital because I can't eat fish.

            The guy actually came to their rescue, although I think his aim was more to make fun of them and ease any tension that might have been in the air, by telling them they should really think before they speak. From some awkward place inside me I keep emotions I don't need sprang a bit of guilt; they were only about eighteen or twenty and I probably didn't need to confront them with the aim of ripping apart whatever they said to me so I laughed it off and said it was fine but maybe they should ask before they judge next time. So it all went better than expected, they apologised and I forgave them.

            They had also commented on my dress sense before looking in my basket but in fairness I had no defence; I was in beach gear in a country where wearing shorts in October is a good way to find out how absorbent your lower legs are. The flip-flops probably would have been hidden in jeans. The shirt was part of a group decision to have the least serious team uniform at any gaming events my friends and I went to compete in and as such would never be worn anywhere except a tropical beach and even then only by people who had little taste in fashion, clothing or colour patterns in general.

            Really what I am trying to relay is that I have become very aware of what I'm eating all the time to the extent that I sometimes only eat half a meal because while I really, really, really, wanted to eat it all of it was too much for my calories. I have started using the practice of doggy bags again and usually have the rest of my meal the next day, though, so I'm actually eating a lot of food I want a lot of the time. Which is great for my dietary morale. So my advice from this post can be condensed to: eat what you want, when you want it but only in the correct quantity.

            On a particularly bad day, the correct quantity is 'as much as you like'. The diet is for you, it does not rule you. Comfort eating is understandable in extreme situations and you shouldn't make yourself feel worse by avoiding it. Having said that a 'particularly bad day' should only happen to you once every fortnight at most. If it happens more often you have non-diet issues to address and should do so first. Always remember that dieting is a first-world issue and should not be put above life necessities like having a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment