Monday 28 October 2013

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger


            That's basically the challenge that has been set down to me concerning my work out this week. Since I was planning on upping it anyway it nicely ties in but I may have over estimated my ability by saying I would add 10 minutes and 6km to my work out by the end of this week. Still, as I point out to my friends in a horrible attempt at a Bronx accent, "You ain't nothing if you don't got ambition!".

            I am at 203lbs this morning, although I was 202lbs yesterday so I'm not too upset - especially as Friday and to some extent Saturday were awful binge days. I'm not really sure why but I was in a pretty dark mood Thursday through to Saturday night. I've got a couple of ideas but it's not really important - net result was my diet suffered slightly. However, I'm now at the gym for 70-80 minutes and burning off 650-700 calories with each visit so I'm pretty chuffed with that. I also feel like I've been completely drained of energy afterwards but I accept that as part of the bargain.

            What have I done this week to improve my weight loss regime? Well, I stuck to my gym schedule pretty closely, but figured adding a trip on Sunday was probably fine. It worked out okay, so the schedule has been adapted to Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday. I also had to slap myself for misreading the calorie amounts on sliced ham although since I was over estimating the value I'm not too upset as it just means I get to eat more. For future reference - KJ's and Kcals are not the same thing. Obvious point but sometimes we miss the obvious things. I sure as hell did.

            Diet-wise I am finding it difficult to eat appropriately to compensate for the gym. At the moment I tend to still have a limited breakfast and lunch, go to the gym and burn 90% of my day's intake off and then have a huge dinner to compensate, occasionally treating myself to a beer if there's not enough food in the house or I simply can't bring myself to eat enough. Good point: My appetite is more controlled. Bad point: I shouldn't have so many calories in one go. A balanced intake over the course of the day would be much better.

            My diet goal for this week, as a result, is to work out how many calories to eat before gym so that it balances with those after the gym. This has two positive gains - firstly, my metabolism will have a more regular cycle and be able to adapt to it faster, encouraging weight loss. Second, I won't be able to argue that since I've eaten so little I don't necessarily have to go to the gym. This unhelpful train of thought is spawned from the inherent laziness that still survives within me and I am most displeased with it for doing so. By eating a substantial amount before the gym I will have to go so I can have a decent dinner, and hopefully this psychological block will be expunged.

            I also got laughed at for the first time at the gym this weekend, but not because I was fat, or because I wasn't working out to a decent degree, or because I was about to die on the cross trainer. It was because I was male; I had been lost in my own world trying to ignore the fact my body was screaming abuse at me, that I still had the cycling machine to do or that I was occasionally singing Plentakill lyrics under my breath and then looked up to find myself surrounded by women on the other cross trainers with a gym attendant moving between them and giving advice. The only other men were over in the weights area. My confused look got the smirking gym attendant - also female - to come over. She greeted me with, "So you're here for Girl Power Hour, I take it? You look a little lost." This was greeted with giggles and titters from the other girls and women around me.

            I could feel a rising panic - had I invaded a women-only class? Should I have known about it? Which window was most likely to break if I ran into it so I could escape this awkward moment? - but the response I gave was, "No, actually, I'm okay here. Thanks though, and I'm happy to help anyone who needs it." This didn't go down well with the gym attendant - she and I haven't always seen eye-to-eye on things, like using my phone while on the treadmill or my refusing to go through the induction process properly - but got a couple of laughs. I then had to man up and try to beat the girls either side of me; as a man, I would never live down being beaten by a girl. I suspect they were actually in better shape than me but I managed to maintain pace and ran for two minutes longer than they did so I'm going to claim victory. I definitely didn't look as chirpy as they did though.

            Penultimate for this entry is an offer. That's right, I'm offering something to other people beyond my own self-satisfied advice. If anyone in my local area - i.e. someone who knows me and lives nearby - wants to start going to the gym but isn't wholly confident about it I can help. On days I don't go to the gym, I am going to be going to the gym because as an amateur Sci-Fi writer I love paradox but also because I don't want to get into lazy habits. These sessions will be much shorter and more technical than my main sessions and would be a good introduction to the gym should someone want one. I'd also like company at the gym from people I get on with. If you don't know me or don't live near me I can still offer advice and instruction, to some extent, so feel free to get in touch! Comment here or email me at killingfatsoftly@gmail.com, or if you have another of my emails you can use that.

              Lastly, please comment and/or subscribe if you're enjoying this blog or find it remotely interesting/helpful. All support is appreciated greatly :D

No comments:

Post a Comment