Wednesday 6 March 2013

Thanks and Gratitude

Since I started dieting on Monday – or publicly announced my aim to start dieting, as I’d done a bit before then – I’ve had four of my friends be inspired to start focusing more on their eating habits, exercise structures or general health. They might not exactly have said it [Only one has outright come out and say it] but I like to think I provided the catalyst which ignited their background plans to do something about it and galvanised them into action. It’s also really, really encouraging and helps me motivate myself to stay focused which after two days sounds like I’m about as reluctant to change my ways as a planet is to leave its orbit.
            What I’m really driving at here is that it is much easier to do this as a group – it makes me feel less like I’m alone in my endeavour. Weight is a massive first-world problem and I know there are support groups and clubs and organizations out there all geared towards ‘solving the weight issue’ but as a result of my natural cynicism I refuse to accept these groups truly care about the individuals past making money and advertisement. Even if I had a personal trainer I’d find it hard to really trust they were there for me and not just for the job. However, when I go to the gym with friends and talk to them about it, I trust their sincerity and value their advice even though it may well be less professionally informed than someone who gets paid to do it as a living. It becomes a group thing, something we work together for, and that really helps us all stay motivated.
            Myfitnesspal has also been pardoned (slightly). It has allowed me to turn my regime into a sort of game, earning points which I can spend on food. It might seem childish or, perhaps, desperate, but it helps me and being honest that’s what this is all about; me. I’m not losing weight for anyone else, to impress anyone or to conform. I’m losing weight – or at least shape – for me, for my health and my generally well being; because I want to be even more awesome than I already am.
            So, thank you Jason, Lizzie, Paul, Brad, Richard, Hannah (and Tom), my brothers Marcus and Matthew, Jen, James Davies, April and everyone who has sent encouragement and motivation in any form at all, and thank you for the continued support you’ve promised. I very much look forward to reaping the first obvious benefits of your fantastic friendship in about 6-8 weeks. Which means you have to keep being nice to me for at least that long :p
******************************************************************************************************
Day 3:
            So you’re aware, I can physically feel what I believe is my stomach preying upon the weaker, less predatory organs inside me right now. If it growls, that’s only because it’s about to start hunting – and I fear it knows I only need one kidney to live.

1 comment:

  1. Chad - I love this! Inspirational! Made me think about the way I think about food and going to make some changes to my lifestyle too! Hope you're good buddy! Cat xx

    ReplyDelete