Wednesday 24 July 2013

Introducing Q&A

            So it turns out a larger number of people than I thought read this blog. I can only take that as a good thing, and they’ve all been very encouraging and complimentary about it which has made me preen slightly under the positive attention. I’m glad people are enjoying it and/or finding it helpful or informative; it means I’m doing something right!
            Part of this post is a thank you to everybody who has got back to me about and said nice things – it does help me stay focused, knowing that I’m not just talking to myself in some quiet corner of the internet. I am sometimes surprised by who is reading the blog but always pleasantly so. I’d also like to thank anyone who has given me compliments about how much weight I’ve lost and how much better I look now – I am not always graceful when receiving these compliments and sometimes they catch me by surprise but they are definitely always welcome. My ego soaks them up like a sponge and loves every second of it.
            The other intention here is to ask if there’s anything people would like me to talk about in a post sometime – questions about how I’m dealing with dieting, how I deal with being hungry all the frigging time, what sort of exercise I’m focusing on or anything that comes to mind really. I mean, if it’s not diet related it doesn’t seem appropriate but – and I realise I’m asking for trouble here – I will still answer those questions. People don’t have to comment on a post, but they are welcome to ask that way or by a private message somewhere – phone, facebook, email, whatever. I’ll answer them as best I can and keep people’s names anonymous if requested. Unless you happen to be called ‘James Davies’ as I believe he may well be the worst offender for awkward questions.
            I’ll try to summarise a couple of things people have asked now though. Firstly, to people who necessarily read my blog but are stunned I seem to have lost 1/3 of my body weight (not an accurate measurement) and ask, ‘What’s your secret?’ I say this:
Po. Tay. Toes. Those grubby little root vegetables that are about as nutritious and wholesome as what you find in a beggar’s pocket. Don’t eat them. Ever. Anything made out of them should be avoided like plague. Crisps? Waste of time. Chips? About as rewarding to eat as gravel, really. Mash? It was a good series but makes a terrible food. There are so many better alternatives my mind did in fact boggle. Parsnips for chips is a good start, and rice is a better side, ideally mixed with sweet corn and broccoli – BAM DOUBLE VEG SCORE – while crisps are just pointless. Honestly, most packets of crisps are just thin, fatty wafers dripping with fat saturated with more fat. Treat potatoes like drugs; just say ‘No’.
Next; how did I get into exercise? Well, I’d heard rumours about the mysterious ‘gym’ thing from my friends Chris and Paul for years – literally – but never really plucked up the courage to actually go to one. In the end I had to swallow my pride and fear, plug in some music and just get on with it. I will admit I did have to tell myself that all the other people in the gym were not staring or laughing at me as I began walking on a treadmill and did not speed up, and it took a couple of trips to silence the voice entirely – it’s still not completely gone. Yeah, it’s scary. Yeah, it’s daunting. But it had to be done; it’s paying off and ONE DAY I WILL LOOK LIKE THOR.
Lastly; motivation. Where do I get it from. Well, to begin with I decided that if I was ever going to get back into dating again – after sorting work life, getting my own place and sorting other menial and annoying things – I had to accept that to be desired I would have to be desirable. And I wasn’t, really – physically. Obviously I am amazing on the inside – despite what certain parties may think – but on the outside I was begin to resemble one of the Great Pyramids and apart from fitting in well with the artificial terrain at Giza this did not help. I would also one day like to be able to actually go running and do that activity from start to finish, rather than beginning with a run, having a jog, collapsing in near-cardiac arrest and then crawling to my feet and trudging back. Finally, I took a photo of myself when I started my diet wearing just my gym shorts. I will never show this photograph to anyone else because I look repulsive – or, as I told one lucky asker, ‘corpulent’. And I never want to look like that again, either to other people or myself.
So there you go folks, a couple of quick general answers. Please do send in questions and queries because it is not always easy to come up with interesting posts each week and I might – might – even be able to offer some worth while advice. I hope to hear more from people soon!
           

No comments:

Post a Comment