Sunday 29 September 2013

Pre-Monday Posting



            So it’s not quite Monday and I’m slipping in an extra post. I meant to write it on Thursday but I ended up having a recovery day instead – and no, writing a blog isn’t exactly a strenuous effort but I decided not to do it then. I was feeling quite exhausted and under the weather. All due to my own actions and by no fault of others.

            As of last Thursday I have re-introduced the practice of going to the gym. My brother and a close friend have been very supportive of this (they have come to watch me suffer) and all in all I have gotten more out of it than I’ve lost. This was until last Thursday – having gone on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for a grand total of 8km jogged and 1.5 km rowed I was absolutely shattered and my body, lacking any real preparation for the sudden and significant infusion of exercise, was aching all over. Thankfully the gym was closed on Thursday for unknown reasons so rather than gym and lunch with a couple of friends I just had lunch. The mistakes didn’t end there, however. I ordered the hottest curry my local pub could make to test myself – on the basis it couldn’t be any worse than extra-hot Nando’s fare and was rewarded with the knowledge that it was in fact at least the equivalent. So, with my body aching and my stomach roiling, I crept back in to bed for a midday nap.

           This tale is cautionary, allowing me to share from my experiences that pushing yourself is good in moderation but I also thought I’d share a few revelations I had while at the gym.

            Firstly, I can manage a comfortable 3km in half an hour. I don’t mean I don’t come out of it sweaty and pretty tired; I mean I can do it without pushing myself too far. When I can manage it 5 days in a row and not be completely immobilized on the sixth then I’ll set the target further. I was surprised I could manage it when I first tried, and it did require some will power to push myself that far rather than stop early and call it a day – none of which was provided by a burning sense of one-upmanship or the fear of being beaten by a girl. Definitely not. BUT if I can do it so can most people – while I have been surprised by my new found level of fitness I don’t think it is exceptional by any means. As I have said before I think it is much harder to drive oneself to do this sort of longer-period exercise than it is to actually do it. The human body is an amazing engine of survival – the pilot is the one who decides which gear to put it in. The fight is definitely to maintain focus – or distraction – long enough to push one’s body to its limits.

            My next discovery was that rather than finding distractions inhibited my ability to exercise, I found quite the opposite. I can definitely put this down to desperately needing anything to occupy my mind in place of my body’s melodramatic report of flaring pain and utter exhaustion. If it’s the only thing you are thinking about it is of course going to become worse than it is – the mind is designed to protect the body and has a lot of early warning systems that can be misinterpreted as last-chance self-destruct warnings. These do inhibit the unprepared when it comes to straining oneself during exercise, as the body throws up messages to alert you that it is under strain. Pushing past those barriers is when it becomes a lot easier. I have found thinking about something else, listening to music and watching any of the ample number of televisions in the gym can just about allow me to start ignoring these messages and once I’ve focused on something else I can keep going for quite some time before I have any real difficulty.

            The third trick I have developed is to start fast and then reel it in a bit – I have a one-minute warm up and then go straight into a 7.5kmph jog for ten minutes before dropping down to 6.5kmph. After three minutes at that speed I go up to 7kmph for the remainder of my half hour. This gets my system running and allows me to maintain a slightly slower run speed for longer. This is possibly all psychosomatic and is just a way for me to trick my body’s warning systems but it works for me.

            None of this will be news to fitness junkies or gym regulars, and some of it may be less than optimal. It works for me at the moment and that’s what’s important as far as my weight loss and fitness is concerned. I will not, however, be going to the gym until Monday most likely, although a short session tomorrow isn’t completely off the books. I will be going to the gym more often as apart from the fitness benefit I cannot help but revel in the extra calories it grants me. I even had a full-fat coke and chips on Wednesday – although I would have rather traded the chips for popcorn in retrospect.

            So this post’s message is a simple one – don’t think about exercise and the effort it takes, just watch soap operas while on the treadmill and try to refrain from shouting obscenities at the characters for their small-minded and idiotic decisions. That, more than anything, is helping me train my will power and self control at the moment. Antiques shows, on the other hand, I find oddly hypnotic. Which is far more dangerous when you’re meant to be running at seven kilometres per hour on a machine designed to force you to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment